BUTLER HIGH SCHOOL
PRINCIPAL’S WEEKLY E-NEWSLETTER
June 17, 2018
Happy Father’s Day
We hope all of our Vandalia-Butler dads enjoyed a wonderful Happy Father’s Day! Thank you for making us Aviator strong!
Parents of Class of 2018
Today’s e-Newsletter is the final one scheduled to be emailed to you, unless your family has a younger daughter/son at Butler for the 2018-2019 school year. Our Class of 2018 will continue to receive their Google email copy until our district tech team makes the switch over to next year’s student email group.
Again, we wish our Class of 2018 Graduates a future filled with awesome experiences and tremendous success. You are wonderful and destined to achieve fantastic things! We encourage you and your parents to remain active members of our Butler community, following with pride the future accomplishments of our Aviators and Staff. Please continue attending our concerts, plays, games, and other school events, supporting and cheering for our Butler teams and organizations. We’d love to see you as much as you can.
As you go forth, best wishes and please proudly remember – We are Aviators!
Awesome Accomplishments by our Class of 2018
Did you hear? Our graduating Class of 2018 earned over $7 million in scholarship and grant offers. What an amazing testament to the excellence of this class! Click here to view the scholarship/award recipient list that was printed in our 2018 Graduation program. Click here to view the Class of 2018 Senior Awards Night program.
During the months of June and July, this e-Newsletter will be distributed bi-weekly. Besides today, please look for it on July 1 and July 15. Regular weekly distributions will resume on July 29.
Graduation for Class of 2019
We are proud of our Aviators who represent Butler in OHSAA post-season district, regional and State tournaments. Unfortunately, some of them and their families have had to make a difficult decision when Graduation occurs on the Friday before Memorial Day – attend Graduation or participate in OHSAA tournaments taking place on that evening. These talented Aviators who represent our school deserve the honor of graduating with their class. The Butler administrative team has researched various options, talked with many students, and studied next year’s tournament dates. We can avoid this conflict by having Graduation on Tuesday, May 28, 2019. We hope this early notice will help families to plan accordingly.
Class of 2019
Reminder: the next meeting for Seniors to turn 2018-2019 school year ideas into action plans will be Wednesday, Jun. 20 at 9 a.m. in the cafeteria. All Seniors, please try to attend.
· Long Fa Lin who will be receiving the Dale E. Creamer Honorary Scholarship from the Southwest District Athletic Board.
· Abbie Schoenherr for being named GWOC 1st team Track in 800.
· Kyle Wertz, Adam Gunckel, Long Fa Lin and Gabe Warren for being named GWOC 1st team Track in 4x800.
· Long Fa Lin for being named GWOC 1st team Track in 1600, 800, and 3200.
· Daiton Sharp for being named GWOC 1st team Track in Long Jump.
· Dalton Shepler for being named GWOC 1st team Track in Pole Vault.
· Abbie Schoenherr for being named GWOC 2nd team Track in 400.
· Gabe Warren for being named GWOC 2nd team Track in 1600 and 3200.
· Jack Marshall, Adam Gunckel, Kyle Wertz and Daiton Sharp for being named GWOC 2nd team Track in 4x400.
· Abbie Schoenherr for being named GWOC Special Mention Track in 1600.
· Tyree Fletcher for being named GWOC Special Mention Track in 100 and 300 Hurdles.
· Daiton Sharp for being named GWOC Honorable Mention Track in 300 Hurdles.
· Long Fa Lin for being named GWOC Athlete of the Year in Track.
· Daiton Sharp for being a State Qualifier for Track in Long Jump.
· Kyle Wertz, Adam Gunckel, Long Fa Lin, and Gabe Warren for being a State Qualifier for Track in 4x800.
· Braedon Norman, Dolen Fults, Jacob DeMoss and Preston Tofstad for being named GWOC 1st team in Baseball.
· Ryan Qvick, Boston Smith and Karter Peck for being named GWOC 2nd team in Baseball.
· Ryan Qvick for being named 2nd team All-Area in Baseball.
· Preston Tofstad and Dolen Fults for being named Honorable Mention All-Area in Baseball.
· Dolen Fults for being named All Conference in Baseball.
· Baseball for being District Runner-up!
· Lyndsey Achs, Katie Henry, Sydney Theobald and Morgan Wright for being named GWOC 1st team All-American in Softball.
· Megan Allen for being named GWOC 2nd team All-American in Softball.
· Amber White for being named GWOC Special Mention All-American in Softball.
· Lyndsey Achs for being named GWOC Player of the Year and All GWOC in Softball.
· Brandon Kreger for being named GWOC 1st team in Tennis.
· Troy Luken, Ross Fike and Leland Skapik for being named GWOC 2nd team in Tennis.
Sports physicals for students participating in athletics are good for one calendar year. Call Athletic Secretary Connie Korber if you have questions: 937-415-6384.
Attention Class of 2019 and Parents
Have you scheduled your senior pictures yet? All Seniors must have their yearbook & class wall composite photo taken with Easterling. Easterling Studios is the contracted photographer for our Butler yearbook and only pictures taken by Easterling will be used in the Senior section of the 2019 yearbook and for the class wall composite. Juniors received a brochure which features specials Easterling will be running during the months of June, July and August. Easterling is much more than just a yearbook studio. They offer casual sessions which highlight each student’s personality, interests & hobbies. Easterling Session Specials are outlined in the brochure. We encourage students to take advantage of the FREE session in the month of June. This opportunity will allow you to choose from a variety of photos, and this picture will be used in the yearbook and for the class wall composite. Studio yearbook session advantages: better lighting at studio; more poses; you are able to choose your pose; one extra pose taken with our school’s cap & gown. Please contact Easterling at 937-222-8410 to schedule an appointment.
Dress recommendations for your yearbook portrait:
· Males - a dress shirt, tie and suit coat
· Females - a shirt with a modest neckline and sleeves
Alternatively, there will be a one-time opportunity to have your yearbook & class wall composite photo taken at school on September 5. (ONLY ONE PHOTO will be taken at school, and you will not be able to choose the pose. The cost for this opportunity at school is $20 which covers your senior portrait appearing in the yearbook and on the class composite.) Again, it’s FREE if you do it as Easterling in June! If you have any questions, please contact Mrs. Martha Thomas at 937-415-6319.
Attention Parents of Class of 2019
All pupils entering 12th grade are required to be vaccinated against meningococcal (serogroups A, C, W, and Y) disease. One (1) dose of meningococcal vaccine is required prior to entry into the 7th grade. A second (2nd) dose of meningococcal vaccine is required prior to entry into the 12th grade. The second (2nd) dose must be administered on or after the 16th birthday with at least eight (8) weeks between the first (1st) and second (2nd) dose. If the first (1st) dose of meningococcal vaccine was administered after the 16th birthday, a second (2nd) dose is not required. If a pupil is 15 years of age or younger, only one (1) dose is required. The Ohio Department of Health requires parents of students entering the 12th grade to have their children vaccinated with the meningococcal vaccine to protect against meningococcal meningitis in which the protective membranes covering their brain and spinal cord, known as the meninges, become infected and swell. The initial symptoms present as fever, malaise, stiff neck, headache, nausea, vomiting, and altered mental status. Meningococcal septicemia is very serious and can be fatal. In fatal cases, deaths can occur in as little as a few hours. In non-fatal cases, permanent disabilities can include amputation of toes, fingers, or limbs or severe scarring as a result of skin grafts. Pupils who have not been immunized by “a method of immunization approved by the Department of Health pursuant to Section 3701.13 of the Revised Code,” are to be excluded from school attendance no later than fifteen (15) days after admission. Exemption: Objections to immunizations due to medical or philosophical reasons requires documentation. A form is available from our school nurse that must be on file in the student’s folder. Please complete and return the form that you should have received by mail by September 4. If you are in need of assistance, please call our school nurse, Jessica Singer, BSN, RN, LSN at 937-415-6308.
Parent Tips from KNOW!
KNOW! provides parents (or grandparents and other caregivers) with twice monthly, FREE KNOW! Parent Tips by email that contain current facts about alcohol, tobacco and other drugs, as well as action steps they can take to help children resist peer pressure to use. To sign up to receive the email tips, e.g., the latest one, “Know! Summertime Increases Risk,” go to https://preventionactionalliance.org/about/programs/know/.
Ohio Summer Food Service Program
The Ohio Summer Food Service Program, sponsored by the Ohio Department of Education, is providing children with free, healthy meals. No sign-up required. All children ages 1 through 18 are eligible to receive free meals during the summer months at participating program sites. Individuals age 19 through 21 who have been identified as having mental or physical disabilities and are following Individualized Education Programs (IEPs) through their current enrollment in educational programs also are eligible for free summer meals. For more information or to find a location near you call 1-866-3-HUNGRY (486479).
IMPORTANT UPCOMING EVENTS
· Wed, 6/20 – Class of 2019 senior planning meeting, 9 a.m., cafeteria
· Tues, 6/26 – Board of Education meeting, 5 p.m., Vandalia Recreation Center
· Mon, 8/13 – Butler Freshman Parent Meeting, 6-7 p.m., PAT
· Tues, 8/14 – Butler Freshman Orientation, 9 a.m.-noon
· Mon, 8/20 – Butler Meet the Teacher Night, 5:30-7:00 p.m.
ACT and SAT
· The final ACT for 2017-2018 will be on July 14. Normal registration deadline has passed. Late registration deadline with an extra fee is Friday, Jun. 22.
· The first SAT for 2018-2019 will be on August 25. Registration deadline is July 27.
“Practice, Practice, Practice!” Preparing for the ACT & SAT
· The following ACT and SAT prep books are available in our media center: Amsco’s Preparing for the ACT Mathematics and Science Reasoning and Preparing for the New SAT Mathematics
· Click here for a publication from ACT. It contains full-length practice tests, including a writing test; information about the optional writing test; strategies to prepare for the tests; and what to expect on test day.
· Click here for sample questions from the CollegeBoard to help prepare for the SAT.
· Kaplan offers various ACT prep online courses through their ACT Kaplan Online Prep Live.
· TorchPrep offers various ACT prep course options. To prepare for the July ACT, they have a 4-day intensive class in Mason (July 9-12). To prepare for the September ACT, they have a Weekend Warrior in Mason (Aug 18,19 and Aug 25,26). For additional info and other dates, visit www.torchprep.com or call 888-382-8174.
CONTEST & ADDITIONAL SCHOLARSHIP OPPORTUNITIES
OSU Balanced Man Scholarship
The Ohio Gamma Chapter of Sigma Phi Epsilon is offering Balanced Man Scholarships totaling $5,000 to outstanding freshmen men entering The Ohio State University next fall. They are offering these scholarships to incoming freshmen male students who embody the principles of the Balanced Man. Their aim is to recognize and reward men who strive to achieve balance, all-around excellence, as they believe it to be essential in achieving a satisfying college experience and life. To qualify, recipients must attend the main campus of The Ohio State University in Columbus in the Fall of 2018. The application is available at http://www.ohiostatesigep.com/BMS. Apply as soon as possible for immediate consideration. The deadline is July 15.
@ButlerHSLuebbe, @VBaviatorAD, @Vandaliabutler, and numerous Butler staff and organizational Twitters!
Guidance Department Text Reminders
All Aviators and parents are encouraged to sign up to receive text messages or emails distributed by our Butler Guidance Department specific to each graduation class. Go to http://www.vbcsd.com/1/Content2/390 and click on the appropriate link for your daughter/son’s graduating class for specific directions. If you have children in different graduating classes at Butler, you will need to sign up separately for each one.
Parents, please keep your primary and secondary email contacts always up-to-date in PowerSchool. Thanks!
School Gmail Account for all Students
All students have School Gmail accounts available so they can receive important information, such as this eNewsletter, directly from Butler High School and Vandalia-Butler City School District. To activate, students need to sign in at www.google.com using their student “ID@vbaviators.com” -- for example, email@example.com is a correct username format. Their initial password is their 8-digit birthdate. For example, April 10, 1990 is 04101990 with leading zeros for single digit months and days. Aviators, in the real world, many adults have separate professional and personal email accounts and use them accordingly. This school Gmail account is to be used only for school usage. It is NOT to be used for personal reasons. Aviators are to check their school Gmail regularly for important messages.