The Gifted Services Department manages the district’s Talented and Gifted (TAG) Program for identified gifted students at the elementary and middle school levels.
The department offers a continuum of services, including academic acceleration opportunities and enrichment programs such as Mock Trial, Academic Challenge and Muse Machine.
Mission of Gifted/Enrichment Education
Gifted Services will provide an appropriate and hands-on environment that academically stimulates the minds of gifted learners while providing opportunities for affective growth.
Purpose of Gifted/Enrichment Education
Gifted Services will design and deliver differentiated curricula with the appropriate depth, breadth, and pace of instruction to meet the needs of each individual learner.
Vision of Gifted/Enrichment Education
Gifted Services will provide appropriate differentiated instruction for gifted students to help them reach their maximum potential.
Core Beliefs of Gifted/Enrichment Education
Gifted students require:
- Differentiated educational programs
- Frequent and consistent involvement with their intellectual peers
- Specially trained teachers
- Rigorous courses of study beyond that of the essential classroom
- Timely direct instruction
- Social and emotional support
- Learning that is stimulating and challenging
- Opportunities for intellectual growth, creativity, and self-discipline
- An environment in which risk taking is supported
- Experiences that offer a sense of accomplishment
Coordinator of Gifted & Talented Services
Helke Elementary School Gifted Intervention Specialist, Grade 3
Morton Middle School Gifted Intervention Specialist Grades 6-8
Demmitt Elementary School, Gifted Intervention Specialist, Grade 3 (Demmitt)
Smith Middle School, Gifted Intervention Specialist, Grades 4 and 5