Murlin Heights Elementary Citizenship Program
We will have a character quality each month and traits that describe the quality weekly. Teachers will look for students who exhibit this quality. The students that are chosen will be invited to a Super Citizens Luncheon at the end of each month. We feel that promoting good citizenship will enhance the quality of our school.
Respect is to consider someone or something worthy of your high regard or attention
- I show respect when I am kind with my words and actions.
- I show respect for adults by never talking back.
Courtesy is polite behavior towards others
- I am courteous when I try to include others when I play.
- I demonstrate common courtesies to others such as opening doors and helping to carry packages.
Politeness is showing good manners
- I say "please", "thank you", "you're welcome", and "excuse me"
- I introduce myself to new people.
Obedience is following the rules or laws
- I always obey the bus driver and obey the bus rules.
- I always obey the school and classroom rules.
Responsibility is to be able to carry out a duty
- I accept responsibility for my actions.
- Teachers can count on me to get my work done carefully and on time.
Self-Discipline is to control one's own actions or emotions
- I don't get into trouble. I say no when someone asks me to do what is not good for me.
- I take charge of myself and my belongings.
Self-Control is using restrain in reaction to one's own emotions
- I think before acting and speaking.
- I have control over myself. I have the willpower to do what is good for me now and good for me in the long run.
Perseverance is steadily working in spite of difficulties
- I push myself to work hard and do more everyday even when it is difficult.
- I continue to work until I have finished my work.
Honesty is being truthful, fair, and trustworthy
- I always want to be honest and never lie, cheat, or steal.
- When I am honest and trustworthy others respect and trust me and I respect myself more too.
Truthfulness is telling the truth, being true, honest, and sincere
- I always tell the truth even when I am wrong.
- I admit to my mistakes, and I don't blame others.
Integrity is having an honest character and trustworthiness
- I feel good about myself when I do what is right.
- I do not follow others who make bad choices.
Generosity is being willing to give and share and I am unselfish
- I am willing to share my things with others.
- I put other's needs ahead of my own.
Charity is giving assistance to one in need
- I help others by giving my time.
- I donate food, clothing, and toys to those in need.
Thankfulness is feeling or expressing gratitude
- I give gifts to others and I am grateful for what I receive.
- I always thank people who give me gifts.
Acceptance is to agree with, to believe in, and to approve
- I am open minded to the ideas of others.
- I accept that we are all different.
Patience is the ability to wait calmly and show tolerance
- I always wait my turn in line.
- I raise my hand in class and wait to be called on by the teacher.
Tolerance is the acceptance of individual differences
- I know that all people are created equal and that everyone should be treated with dignity and respect.
- I know that the world would be a better place to live in if we all treated others as we want to be treated.
Uniqueness is one of a kind
- I have many special talents and abilities. I am one of a kind.
- I work at developing these talents and abilities. I do many things well, and I will do them a lot better in the future.
Friendship is companionship and sharing my thoughts and feelings
- I smile and I am friendly to ALL of my classmates.
- i don't worry if someone doesn't like me. I will always have good friends if I am kind and sincere.
Courage is to meet a challenge without giving in to fear
- I have the courage to say NO to what is wrong and to obey adults.
- I know that when I have the courage to do what is right, this makes it easier the next time to make the right choice.
Kindness is to be willing to help, be gentle, and friendly
- I talk kindly, I never hurt anyone's feelings, and I am always ready to forgive others.
- I treat other students the way I like to be treated.
Joyfulness is a strong feeling of happiness, contentment, or satisfaction
- All through the school day, when I meet others, I look at them, smile, and speak to them in a friendly way - the bus drivers, my teachers, and my classmates.
- When I am cheerful and friendly, I make others happy and I feel happier, too!
Cooperation is working together for a common purpose
- When I cooperate I am a great team member and others like to work with me.
- I am helpful and I get along well with others.
Determination is to always do the best YOU can do
- I never settle for less than my best.
- I always keep trying and never give up on myself or others.
Fairness is acting according to the rules
- When I am playing a game I always follow the rules.
- I am fair when I give everyone an equal chance.
Sportsmanship is using fair play or sportsmanlike conduct
- I am a good winner and a god loser when I don't brag or pout.
- I play fairly when I play by the rules on the playground.
Consideration is to show thoughtful or concern for others
- I am considerate when I let others go first.
- I show consideration when I open doors for others.
Loyalty is to be faithful, especially to one's country, team, friend, duty, or obligation
- My family, school, and neighborhood can count on me to do what is right and true.
- I am loyal to my friends when I stand up for them.
Confidence is to be bold, courageous, or to master one's own fears
- I believe in myself and my abilities.
- I am confident in my work when I have studies and done my best.
Resourcefulness is to be able to deal skillfully with difficulties and problems
- I am a good problem solvers.
- I try to help myself before I ask for help.
Citizenship is to be a member of a society with rights, duties, and privileges
- I do what is best for the school or community, not just myself.
- I am willing to volunteer and to lead in my school or community.
Patriotism is respect and loyalty to one's country
- I say the Pledge of Allegiance with respect.
- I love my country.
Independence is freedom and reliance on one's own efforts
- I am independent when I read and try to follow the directions before asking for help.
- I try to do what is needed before I am asked.